Cibus was founded in 2001 with the goal to increase farmer’s yield and profit, reduce waste and resources, and create healthier food by developing customized native plant traits that benefit farmers, processors and consumers. Cibus’ trait development is focused on areas such as weed control, disease and insect resistance, as well as other traits such as pod shatter reduction and allergen free. Cibus is a biotechnology company pioneering advanced gene editing to lead the development of new traits for the global agricultural seed industry. Its family of technologies, known as the Rapid Trait Development System (RTDSTM) harnesses the power of the plant’s own gene repair mechanisms, without integrating foreign genetic material into the processes, to create traits that are genetically indistinguishable from those that can occur in nature.
Technology as the Key Competitive Factor
Cibus’ Gene Editing Trait Platform is the leading trait development technology consisting of:
- More than 300 patents and patent applications
- Crop specific cell culture model and genomic data platform
- Gene editing methodology that qualifies as Advanced Mutagenesis (nature identical, no transgenes, no recombinant DNA)
- Ability to stack multiple traits resulting in escalating royalty streams in the same crop
- Scalable, efficient and cost-effective processes
- Existing non-GMO traits in Canola, Rice, Flax and Potato
We Believe That RTDS is the Leading Trait Development Technology
Trait Development Technology
Anticipated Speed to Market & Cost
Precisely Customize Traits (2)
Rapidly Stack Customized Traits (3, 4)
Excludes Recombinant DNA in Both Process and Product
< 5 Years < $10MM
CRISPR & TALEN
< 5 Years ~$10MM
Gene Knock in
Gene Knock out (5)
Organisms — GMOs)
~13 Years $135MM
(Traditional chemical or irradiation)
- Based on management’s survey of academic literature and other publicly available information.
- Demonstrated ability to make a directed nucleotide change(s) in an endogenous gene target of a host plant’s DNA to develop desired traits.
- Rapidly is defined as less than 10 years.
- Demonstrated ability to make a directed nucleotide change(s) in multiple independent endogenous gene targets of a host plant’s DNA to develop desired traits.
- In plants, only a few cases where a gene knockout included the practice of NOT integrating the site-directed nuclease as a transgender.
Cibus is passionate about efficiently bringing to market the broadest portfolio of novel, nature-identical plant traits to help grow healthier, more sustainable, economically viable, and globally accepted crops that will benefit farmers, processors and consumers everywhere.